Special Perform by: Sullivan.W

Monday, June 02, 2014

15th May - Farm life start in Vik


I'm a bit worry before I see my room in the cattle farm house
But I do relieve when I step into a room like this~
I really wish to rest well after a day work in the farm


This is the milk cow 

 

New born lamb really cute
The sheep are mating and pregnant during winter period (Nov - Dec) and deliver the lamb on May
That's one of the reason run Icelander farmer busy on May to early June
As some of the sheep might not deliver their lamb with the head down (nature born), Ragnar (my host) need to help them, otherwise the lamb will die

 

My main job with Ragnar is to feed the cows everyday twice time at morning and late evening
They are no doubt really a glutton animal
Everyday they will eat at least 1 hectare of grass per day (30 of them)


This is Vaskur (Icelandic mean 'sink) a 9 years old sheepdog
I like him, but most of the time I wish he will not keep bother me when I'm working around
He is really a playboy ^o^ Like to play with throwing stone

 
Let's meet Brussa
A pregnant old cow (8 years old)
Cow start to be milked on 2 years old after their 1st calf deliver
3-4 years they deliver the best milk they have and start getting old when they reach 8 years old
Brussa is going to deliver a calf soon
After she deliver her calf, her milk will go to her calf and others lamb (when a sheep have more lamb to carry, she might out of milk to feed them) for 1st 3-4 days
After that, she will start produce milk for sell
Of cause their calf will continue have some milk, as the milking machine will left approximately 5 - 8 liters of waste milk every time when milking work done
Those waste milk is less quality milk from the cow

 
This is a milking machine
A normal cow have 4 nipples for milk

 

After feeding the animal, I need to start cleaning the cow's nipple for milking
We use hot towel to clean the nipples as this will help the cow easier generate the milk and the dirt at nipples are easier to be removed

 

No comments: